funsec mailing list archives

Web viruses?

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:20:28 -0800

From a survey of attendees at the RSA conference:

"While 29 percent of respondents ranked e-mail viruses as their most
 significant threat, 68 percent listed Web viruses, suggesting that Web
 viruses pose more of a threat than e-mail-born ones."

Excuse me.  Can somebody give me a definition of a "Web virus," and why it
might be particularly dangerous?  (I mean, aside from the normal malicious attacks
that we've all seen associated with Web pages, like phishing or XSS.)

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised: I've said for almost 20 years that even security
professionals don't know enough about malware ...

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
When I was young, I was amazed at Plutarch's statement that the
elder Cato began at the age of 80 to learn Greek.  I am amazed no
longer.  Old age is ready to undertake tasks that youth shirked
because they would take too long.                     - Groucho Marx
Dictionary of Information Security  www.syngress.com/catalog/?pid=4150
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm