funsec mailing list archives

Re: Idaho Killer Holds Encryption Key to Laptop Mystery

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:29:16 -0500

On 10/20/06, Dennis Henderson <hendomatic () gmail com> wrote:

> How many of the people the Spanish Inquisition tortured were *really*
guilty,
> and how many just cracked and agreed to anything the torturer wanted?  How
many
> of our soldiers in Vietnam cracked and divulged secret info, and how many
just
> cracked and "confessed" for a Viet Cong photo op?

On torture i'll refine my comments and stick to very tactical situations,
like preventing the end of the earth or slightly less.

And then agree with you more so on the strategic views that you reference
like the Inquisition and Salem Witch trials etc... toture is not a very
reliable way to gain primary information from a prisoner.

Its not a fair comparison. In one case you're expecting people to
admit to being something that doesn't exist - there is no right answer
so you'll say anything to get them to kill you and end the torture
(see previous posts by me).

I do believe however that most people could bring themselves to cause
whatever injury necessary to keep themselves or other people from being
killed.

I believe it, and I've read a study that verified it. Anti-gun idiots
like to bring it up as an argument for their side. I've never been
able to make that leap of logic but the study's findings were
interesting. Had to do with a person's willingness to shock another
human...they're quite willing.