funsec mailing list archives

Re: Request for assistance in malware identification

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:49:29 GMT

Rob,

There's always http://www.VirusTotal.com ....

- ferg

-- "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca> wrote:

Having stopped doing formal reviews a while back, I've recently started
a couple
on some commercial products.

However, I also, finally, installed ClamWin, and have found it ...
interesting.
(Anybody know how to get more speed out of the thing?  Does it *really*
always
choke to death on CAB files, or only those on Office install disks?)

Anyway, it has found some ... interesting stuff.  And while I know that
some of
them are legit, I'd like to test out some others.  I know some of you
have access to
systems that will run tests against a variety of scanners, so, if you
can contact me
separately, I'd like to be able to send some pieces along for testing.

Also, two of the items are a wee bit confidential, so I'd like some
assurances that
there will be no peeking at contents (other than doing the malware
scanning).

Thanks in advance.  (Isn't that one of the silly business buzzphrases?)

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg(at)netzero.net