funsec mailing list archives

Censoring the Web using Google Co-op?

From: "'Richard M. Smith'" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 12:46:10 -0400

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2006/10/new-google-search-func
tion/

New Google search function

It can be easy to find climate science information on the web, but that
information ranges from the excellent to the atrocious - and it can often be
hard to tell them apart without some prior expertise. Wouldn't it be great
if someone could vet the information beforehand so that you had some
confidence that it wasn't completely bogus? Well, you need wait no longer!

Some of you may have already noticed that we have updated our search
facility to use a new service from Google Co-op which is being launched
today. The idea is that the search is restricted to domains and pages that
have passed some kind of quality control. RealClimate is one of the demo
sites of the new technology and we have started off with a selection of
sites (IPCC, goverment labs, research institutes etc. - as well as
RealClimate itself of course!) that we know provide quality information
about climate science. As we get used to this service, we will be adding
sites and pages that we feel are up to the mark. Suggestions for sites that
we might not yet have found or have overlooked, will of course be welcome.

More here: http://www.google.com/coop/