funsec mailing list archives

Media War

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 17:04:14 -0400

By Bernd Debusmann, Special Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - As U.S. military losses mount steadily in Iraq,
a document issued by a group linked to al Qaeda spells out new goals
for America's most determined enemies and calls for a media war
against the United States.

The document, which began circulating on the Internet this month,
illustrates the techniques Washington's enemy is using in what
President George W. Bush has called the "war of ideas."

"The people of jihad need to carry out a media war parallel to the
military war ... because we can observe the effect that the media have
on nations," said the document, signed by Najd al-Rawi of the Global
Islamic Media Front, a group associated with al Qaeda.

It lists targets for a public relations campaign ranging from the
obvious -- Internet chat rooms -- to the surprising -- "famous U.S.
authors with e-mail addresses" and mentions New York Times columnist
Thomas Friedman and the academics Noam Chomsky, Francis Fukuyama and
Samuel Huntington.