funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] No Child Left Behind Privacy Policy Under Attack

From: "Dennis Henderson" <hendomatic () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 09:37:37 -0600

>     (3) SAME ACCESS TO STUDENTS- Each local educational agency
>     receiving assistance under this Act shall provide military
>     recruiters the same access to secondary school students as is
>     provided generally to post secondary educational institutions or
>     to prospective employers of those students.
>
> [...]

Now, I am not a lawyer, but...

Was there a "signing statement"?  The prez signs these to 'tell'
Congress how the Executive branch will "interpret" the newly signed
law.  (I have real problems with that.  "Signing statements" were NOT
included in the US Constitution.)

The controlling phrase in the para above might be "... provide ... as
is provided generally to post secondary..."

One could argue that if the Military did not have access, then the
others also should not have access...  I'd only suggest that if I were
*terribly* cynical - which I'm not.  I think.  Well, perhaps, just a
skosh...

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

I'm not sure why the "military" is singled out other than the fact that it
is a government entity. The real kicker is how the local school districts
comply with the opt-out system. Some school districts are very good about
letting parents know they can opt out and some aren't.

I guess my only comment would be you get what you pay for. The longer
Americans let the government meddle in what should be state or local
initiatives, the more silly stuff that the (empty)suits in Washington will
come up with.

It would be interesting to know who in Congress authored that specifice
language...

Dennis