funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Bush and Martial Law

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 08:35:31 -0600

On 10/31/06, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:

Odd.  I thought it turned out that the governor *did* call Washington
and ask for help.

By every account I've read, you're wrong.

And there was *no* reason why Bush and co. couldn't
have issued an order like "I want 30,000 Guardsmen on alert and ready to
move within 3 hours after I get the rather expected call from the Governor".

Apparently you have never tried to get 30,000 guardsmen together, but
that's not surprising. At any rate, since you have forgotten a lot
I'll remind you that just before the hurricane hit land it was
downgraded. It then passed. No one thought it was going to amount to
much, once it had blown by and the damage was NOT that great, but THEN
the levee broke and the lake flooded into New Orleans. After that, if
I recall correctly, the governor didn't call until the next day!!! For
that matter, the mayor failed to ever call for an immediate and
mandatory evacuation - leaving all of those buses in the parking lot
rather than moving people out. He also allowed the dome to turn into
an unpoliced nightmare for those foolish enough to expect it to
provide shelter. I don't suppose we need to discuss how the NOPD
behaved...