funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] 'The Architecture' Reaches Out To Arrest Activist

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 08:33:02 -0600

On 1/12/07, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
What might that statement be based on? Since when did the NSA/FBI/CIA
start posting real-time intelligence reports.

The FBI has been looking for Al Quaeda cells for even longer than SCO has
been looking for lines of infringing code in the Linux kernel, and with
a similar success rate.

Is that a fact...hmm... My guess would be that the FBI has been
looking for terrorist cells since at least the first attack on the WTC
- not sure that "Al Quaeda" is the end-all, be-all or that they're
even relevant. Further, they've broken up several groups, if not
"cells", though not all of them have been widely publicized. The group
here in Missouri, for instance, only got air play for a day or two.
The group in Canada with links to other people in the US is a widely
publicized example, and you can't possibly believe they just started
watching those people in the US after the Canada raid.

It doesn't have to be real-time when you're talking about an activity that
has been going on for the vast majority of this *century*.

I don't know where you're getting your information...I can't think of
a single story about the FBI following terrorist cells in the early
1900s, or at any time before the first WTC attack. For that matter,
they didn't do too much even after that attack - not enough,
obviously.

(And they *are* posting "real-time" reports, if you take the DHS "Terror Level"
green/yellow/pink/paisley/red thing as being anything other than theatre...)

They used to change the defcon level on a daily basis and no one
cared, noticed or reported on it. I don't know that its theatre, but I
don't think its all that important either.