funsec mailing list archives

RE: class-president-hacks-school-grades

From: Blanchard_Michael () emc com
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:43:45 -0500

________________________________

From: Dennis Henderson [mailto:hendomatic () gmail com]
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2007 10:33 AM
To: Blanchard, Michael (InfoSec)
Cc: randallm () fidmail com; funsec () linuxbox org
Subject: Re: [funsec] class-president-hacks-school-grades

On 1/22/07, Blanchard_Michael () emc com <Blanchard_Michael () emc com >
wrote:

        Yikes!  I think those charges are a little harsh for a teenager
changing his grades.  And expulsion at that!  Yikes!  That's basically
throwing this kid's life down the toilet for a foolish mistake.

        But, I'm sure that the courts won't destroy this kid's life, and
I'll certainly bet that after all this kid goes through in the courts
and being arrested, that he'll never EVER do anything this stupid again.

        Mike B

Mike, I have to disagree.  Here we have the Class President, the person
selected by his peers as the best representative of that school's class
and he is an(alleged) fraud. Its not like it was the expected one; the
nerdy hermit that forgot to turn in an assigmentand hacked the system..

What if the grade changes were never detected and this miscreant went on
to get scholarships and other false acclaim? Some are probably cheering
that thought, and its a sign of the times where today's youth think that
cheating is not illegal unless you get caught.

:)

Dennis

   I agree that he should be punished, absolutely because cheating might
not always be illegal it's always immoral..  But, 2 second degree felony
charges and expulsion?  I just feel those charges are a bit harsh, if he
receives the max sentence his live is ruined basically.  All because of
some stupid thing that he did without having really thinking or knowing
what the outcome could be.

   But then again, I don't have all the facts, non of us do, so it's
hard to tell if this was an isolated incident or not.  Perhaps dropping
the charges down to misdemeanors (so they don't follow him the rest of
his life), repeating his senior year and 80 - 120 hours of community
service over the summer would suffice as a punishment.  My feeling is
that you want to make the punishment painful enough that he learns his
lesson and won't even think about doing it again, without being severely
life altering.  Of course, this is based upon an isolated incident....
his history would have to be taken into account along with a whole slew
of other things too...

  and no, I'm not a bleeding heart liberal either <grin>  I just
wouldn't want to see someone's life get totally ruined for simply some
stupid thing that he did in High School.....

 Mike B