funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] City of Chicago Loses Voter Data

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 01:02:08 +0000 (GMT)

You asked for comments.

My bank came up with a great idea. They called me, and asked me for my
mother's maiden name. This, they said, would be used to prove my identity
when I phone them up. It's good that my bank comes up with fresh and
original security systems.

So, first of all I put them through the "Who are you, you're
someone phoning me out of the blue, why should I believe you're my bank?"
So she offered to give me the phone number so I could call her back. We
both had a bit of a luagh about that.

Then she offered to email me; because it was email, I'd know it was coming
from the bank.

I had a bit of a laugh about that, and told her to speak to her IT people
to have the joke explained.

So I asked to speak to someone higher up.

Then I made a counter offer. "Look me up on the internet, maybe use a
geneology web site. Find out my mother's maiden name yourself, then you
can ask me for it each time I call."

Then there was a bit of a pause while the person I spoke to worked out
that if they could discover my mother's maden name, so could anyone else.

"So," I said, "how about I call you back on this."

So I called my bank manager, using the bank's number. He denied that the
bank would be so stupid, and said it was probably an attempt at identity
theft, and he'd look into it.

Then he called me back. Apparently, it was the bank after all. "And we
really do need your mother's maiden name." I put it to him that he didn't.
He insisted that he did.  I said, "No, you want something that you can use
to verify that it's me, it doesn't have to be mother's maiden name."

"Yes it does," he insisted, "it's a directive from Head Office. Nothing
else will do."

"Hmm," I explained, "and what will you do when I tell you that this is
confidential information that I'm not going to give you?"

He said he'd call me back.

I'm still waiting.