funsec mailing list archives

RE: Study Finds Security Flaws on Web Sites of Major Banks

From: "Larry Seltzer" <Larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 08:45:49 -0500

I've been making this point myself (that Sitekey authenticates the site,
but doesn't un-authenticate fake sites) for a long time, but I think
it's unfair and unhelpful for the MIT guy to suggest that BofA is better
off without it. It does at least give users confidence in the site when
they're there.

Perhaps the problem is in the reporting (no surprise for the NYT) but
it's not like the academics presented a better idea. And I would want to
see more about the study, like what the fake sites looked like. Was
there any other security software installed? I look at phishing sites
all the time and what with my anti-spam (Sunbelt), KAV, IE7 and FF2 none
of them are getting through to me lately. I have to specifically bypass
dire warnings.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/ <blocked::http://security.eweek.com/>