funsec mailing list archives

Re: Quote of the Day [2]: America's Community Bankers

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 16:50:05 -0600

On 2/6/07, Fergie <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:
>> "According to the bank group's survey of its members, 70 percent
>> said their bank had to reissue credit or debit cards three times
>> or more in the past 24 months."
>
>That's a fairly worthless statement, I've had mine re-issued twice.
>Neither time was it due to a security breach of any kind.
>
>It's also a lame cause for more government oversight which can only
>help to worsen the security landscape. Pressure for more and better
>security should come from the bank's customers...

Well, I assert that since you state that you have had your
cards resissued twice in the past two years, that it -- in and
of itself -- is pretty meaningless, too. :-)

The difference is I'm not drawing any conclusions based on my facts.

It's still a sad commentary on the current state of affairs
with regards to security, privacy, and e-commerce.

As with freedom, there are costs associated with convenience. Until
consumers have decided the costs are too high, convenience will reign
supreme over security.