funsec mailing list archives

Re: Don't click that link - it may re-program your router?

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 10:24:08 -0000

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:09:45 -0000, Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf () dione ids pl> wrote:
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 Blanchard_Michael () emc com wrote:
to me the whole deal is simply a reminder to change passwords from
default if they're not already.
And hope you don't have hidden "service" accounts that are not visible
through GUI, of course. Like Siemens DSL modems and their "userNotUsed" /
"userNotU"...

*Every* home grade router I've used has had a default option to block the administration console from the external network. This is basically:
1) Change default passwords
2) Get the vendors to set up secure

As far as I'm concerned, this is a vendor issue, a home router should never leave the factory without it being configured to auto change the default password and to block the administration screen from outside.

Though most vendors seem to be terrible on security and follow the concept of "we tell you it's secure so it is".

dave