funsec mailing list archives

Please don't compute and drive.....

From: "'Richard M. Smith'" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:39:01 -0500

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-laptop27feb27,0,6942169.story?coll=l
a-home-headlines

Man believed to be using a laptop is killed in car crash
From the Associated Press
February 27, 2007

YUBA CITY, CALIF. - A man who authorities say appeared to be driving while
using his laptop computer died Monday when his car crossed into oncoming
traffic and collided with a Hummer.

California Highway Patrol officers found the victim's computer still running
and plugged into the cigarette lighter of his 1991 Honda Accord.

The 28-year-old victim was a computer tutor in Chico, Calif. The Sutter
County coroner's office was withholding his identity until his family could
be notified.

"The screen itself shattered from the impact, so we can't be sure if he was
working on it or not, but we think from the way it was found that he might
have been working," said Sgt. John Pettigrew, a CHP spokesman. "It's a
straight road right there, and it doesn't look like he fell asleep or
anything else."