funsec mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Collaborated with the NSA on Vista Security?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 12:59:19 -0500

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 04:44:50 GMT, Fergie said:
Huh? Yeah, that's what I said. :-)

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but given the NSA's
background in surreptitious surveillance, this is yet another
reason why I will never, never own a Vista system.

Good.  You can't install a Linux system either - NSA was involved in SELinux.

Most people don't realize the NSA has *two* charges - they're familiar
with the Signals Intelligence side of the fence, and don't realize that
there's also the Information Assurance group - and *their* charge is to
secure *our* computers against *them*.

http://www.nsa.gov/ia/

Among other things, they do some really nice "how to secure an XYZ" guides:

http://www.nsa.gov/snac/index.cfm?MenuID=scg10.3.1

They also provide a lot of technical assistance to the guys at NIST:
http://csrc.nist.gov/