funsec mailing list archives

[privacy] ReputationDefender ...

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 22:24:12 -0800

On another list, someone asked a question about a mailing received promoting the
services of a particularly vendor.  I must admit that, at first, I paid it scant
attention.  However, something in the posting caught my attention:

We at ReputationDefender wanted to thank you for your important and
useful website regarding Internet safety.

Uh huh.  They are searching and harvesting, targetting a specific market ...

Given your focus on Internet
safety, we thought you or your readers might be interested in learning
about our MyChild services:
http://reputationdefender.com/mychild.php

Haven't looked into this part yet, but:

As our website states, ReputationDefender is dedicated to helping
parents ensure that the Internet is a medium where their children can
pursue their passions, apply to school, stay connected with friends and
family, apply for jobs, etc.,

Obviously targetting the specific person, because what follows is quite different:

while knowing that their reputations,
safety, and privacy are being protected 24 hours a day.  We accomplish
this goal by searching the Internet for any and all information about
our clients,

I can't recall how long ago it was, but there was a flurry of these things for a while.
 They all purported to search out data and particularly queries about you.  (In fact,
that was part of their marketing spam: they'd send you a message saying that
someone was asking about you.  Of course, you couldn't see who was asking about
you, or what they wanted to know, or who was reporting on you, or what they
were saying, until you became a paying client ...)

presenting our clients with comprehensive reports of that
information,

Like you couldn't search this out yourself.  What's it called: vanity searching?
Something like that.

and then destroying specific content, at the request of our
clients, using proprietary techniques.

Now *this* part is new.  Suppose I put up a notice on my Website that somebody
is an extremely bad person, and we should all march on his/her house with
pitchforks, and etc, etc.  This person, buying into RepDef, sics them on me, and
they ... what?  DDoS my ISP?  Poison my ISPs DNS?  Break into my computer
and deface my site?

Now, given that I'm an extraordinarily nasty person, this may be justified.
However, in the normal course of events, it could get you into a lot of legal
trouble.

I'd be *very* careful about shaking hands with these guys ...

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Self-respect: The secure feeling that no one, as yet, is
suspicious.                                           - H.L. Mencken
Dictionary of Information Security  www.syngress.com/catalog/?pid=4150
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm