funsec mailing list archives

Re: Rogue DNS Servers

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 23:52:08 -0400

Fergie wrote:
Researchers of Trend Micro have identified a network of more than 115 rogue
DNS servers that are used by a certain variant of TROJ_DNSCHANG. These DNS
servers exhibit interesting behavior.

I get timeouts trying to reference the URL, so I can't get the details... but...

If you're talking about the Inhoster hooks, this has been going on for months. DNS clients are hijacked to point to various servers in 85.255.112.0/20.

Recently (last 48 hours) I've seen enduser queries out of our block (excluding our internal recursive servers) directed toward...

< Dst IP address > < Total # > 85.255.112.116 1420
  85.255.112.183        3
  85.255.116.53         1940
  85.255.116.168        3

I don't see any other "out of the ordinary" outbound DNS, at least not clustered
Jeff