funsec mailing list archives

Birds vs. People (This planet ain't big enough for the both of us)

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 16:57:08 -0400

Hi,

The Audubon Society issued a report last week about a study they did showing
large declines in bird populations in North America since 1967.  These bird
population declines are easy to understand if one looks at the corresponding
increase in human population in the U.S. since 1967 and the dramatic
increase in the consumption of cars and bigger houses.

Does the ever-increasing human population represent a security problem?

Richard

Common Birds In Decline

http://www.audubon.org/bird/stateofthebirds/CBID/

Audubon's unprecedented analysis of forty years of
<http://www.audubon.org/bird/stateofthebirds/CBID/citizenScience.php>
citizen-science bird population data from our own Christmas Bird Count
<http://www.audubon.org/bird/cbc/index.html>  plus the Breeding Bird Survey
reveals the alarming decline of many of our most common and beloved birds.

Since 1967 the average population of the common birds in steepest decline
has fallen by 68 percent; some individual species nose-dived as much as 80
percent. All 20 birds on the national Common Birds in Decline list lost at
least half their populations in just four decades.

  _____

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/facts_for_features
_special_editions/007276.html

World Population