funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] TorrentSpy Ruling a 'Weapon of Mass Discovery'

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 11:45:35 -0400

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 03:43:39 EDT, Dude VanWinkle said:

This came out of torrentspy saying to the judge "we dont have our
customers IP's because we dont store them". This bit them in the butt
because, as the prosecution pointed out: they do store them, if only
temporarily, in RAM.

The obvious response is to go out and get a bus analyser, and hook it up,
and give them the contents of RAM.  Every load. Every store.  Sure, it may
require handing over several terabytes per day if you have a nice meaty
CPU (4 3Ghz Xeons, or similar).

Oh. They wanted *only* logging? Well, they should have *asked* for that then.

:)