funsec mailing list archives

RE: RE: funsec Office 2007 has 0 security issues

From: rms () computerbytesman com
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 11:27:31 -0400 (EDT)

When sending out email messages, Outlook 2007 supports plain text, HTML,
and Outlook RTF.  I think these same 3 options been around for years in
Outlook.  Outlook 2007 and previous versions will display these same 3
formsts.

But I've also wondered for a long time what other MIME types Outlook will
automatically display in message bodies and how to turn off these MIME
types.  Does anyone know the answer?

Richard

Richard M. Smith wrote:

These 3 Word bugs are interesting, but I suspect they are not
exploitable in
an Outlook email message because an email message is HTML text and not a
Word .DOC file.  ...

Are you sure there's actually that much of a distinction any more?

Have you looked at all the permutations of the new, default Word format
and how these may be able to be conveyed within the body of a MIME
Email message?

...  To find security problems in Word that can be exploited
from an Outlook email message instead requires fuzzing HTML.  Securuty
problems with HTML of course can be a problem with an email reader that
supports HTML including readers which blindly convert HTML to plain
text.

8-)

I wonder how well Nick's Pegasus email reader has been vetted for
HTML-related security problems?

I don't know.

I do know there are two separate HTML engines (don't ask) and one has a
very nasty habit of crashing with certain types of malformed .GIF that
are not totally uncommon in some spam.

What I do know is that PMail is probably nowhere near popular enough to
be worth the bad guys' effort of looking at, apart from those who would
fashion a carefully and narrowly targetted attack against someone who
may happen to use PMail.  And regarding HTML support, the renderers in
PMail use to be "off by default" -- given a message with text/plain and
text/html parts PMail would show you the text/plain version using its
own (ancient) display routines.  More recently, with the gretaer
dumbing down of the userbase and the increase in use of HTML Email, the
default setting for new installations has flipped that to preferring
the HTML form.  My only real concern here is that there is no config
option to _not_ display HTML-only messages in the HTML viewer and
either pop-up a warning or default to the "raw" ("source") view.

It's possibly buggy as hell, but the point is that no-one, including
the bad guys, is looking for the faults, so it is much safer in
everyday use.

And for me, despite its many idiosyncracies, it has invaluable features
that MS (and virtually all other MUA developers) has never included
(and seems unlikely ever to consider).

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald