funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] VeriChip Corporation Announces American MedicalAssociation Recommends Implantable RFID Devices to Improvethe Safety and Efficiency of Patient Care

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:48:08 -0400

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 06:23:29 EDT, Larry Seltzer said:

VeriChip Corporation Announces American Medical Association Recommends
Implantable RFID Devices to Improve the Safety and Efficiency of Patient
Care

I'm sorry, why is this on the privacy mailing list? Is there a problem
with this? :)

The part I'm missing here is - do they have any plans to remove/deactivate
said RFIDs upon patient discharge?  Or will I be walking around with the
electronic equivalent of a half-dozen cow ear tags stuck in my butt for the
rest of my life?

Remember - the privacy issue with Walmart RFIDs is that an RFID that Walmart
uses to track a shirt while it's in Walmart's supply line, can then be used to
track *you* while you wear that shirt. This is even worse - I can always choose
to get rid of the shirt with little or no repercussions.  I can't do that as
easily with my butt...