funsec mailing list archives

Re: Cyber War: A Major Threat to Business

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 09:17:14 -0400

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 04:54:21 -0000, Fergie said:

It's no secret that large U.S. businesses are in the crosshairs of foreign
government entities and terrorists. According to Maj. Gen. William Lord,
"China has downloaded 10 to 20 terabytes of data from the NIPRNet," the
Department of Defense network used for transmitting sensitive information.

Damn.  And we whomp on students the next day if they upload more than
several hundred gigabytes.

Draw your own conclusions about the relative security of our resnet and
NIPRNet.