funsec mailing list archives

Barclaycard shenanigans.

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:16:54 +0100 (BST)

I got a phone call, someone wanted to talk to me about my Barclaycard.
They said they were "calling on hehalf of Barclaycard", so I asked them
who they were. They said they're ICT Canada. We talked a bit, and they had
my name, address, phone number and I don't know what else. So I politely
explained that I don't discuss this sort of thing with people who call me
out of the blue.

"Oh, it's not a sales call," she said - I hadn't suggested that it was, at
that point. But she was keen to get on with her script.  "It's an
administrative call. Your account says you don't want sales calls, but
that means you're missing lots of great offers, and I'm calling to get you
to change that." So we chatted a bit more, and hung up.

Then I phoned Barclays, my bank. They often try to tell me that
Barclaycard isn't anything to do with them, but I always explain that I'll
believe that if they sue Barclaycard for using their brand name.

So I got Barclays to talk to Barclaycard about this - I reported it as
possibly a fraud attempt.

Then I got a letter back from Barclays. Apparently, it wasn't a fraud, it
was indeed Barclaycard, making a sales call to someone who had requested
no sales calls, and pretending that it wasn't a sales call. The lady from
Barclays invited me to send in a complaint.

Naturally, I refused, explaining to her that I wanted *her* to make the
complaint, and to get someone from Barclaycard to call me back on this.
Why should I have to do the work? I pay enough in bank charges.

Meanwhile, I've been reading in the Daily Telegraph that other people have
been getting this.

So after a while, I got a call from a guy at Barclaycard. I got the
impression that he totally held his hands up.

1) Giving out my personal data to a third party, which is certainly
reprehensible and possibly illegal under the Data Protection Act.

2) Making a sales call to me after I'd specifically requested no sales
calls. When I tell them that they can call me over administrative matters,
I mean calls like "Someone just tried to bill your card", or "you just
exceeded your limit".

3) Training users to respond to complete strangers talking to them about
their credit card.

With bank morons like this, it's no wonder that phishers flourish. And
how can we do much about spam, when even a previously respectable company
like Barclaycard uses telespam despite me having requested they don't call
me for sales.

So, I'm making a request of Barclaycard (I'll tell you how this goes). I
want them to change their policy on sales calls - I want them to stop
calling people who've requested no sales calls (which is what I'd have
thought their policy already was, but obviously it isn't).