funsec mailing list archives

Re: So how was *your* day?

From: Gary Warner <gar () askgar com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 13:05:31 -0500

Great story, Rob.

My day is going well.

I just came out of a "Thank You Pizza Party" where I apologized to 30+
of my Victims (I mean Users) for the fact that we have basically been
yanking their chain for four weeks, working around what ended up being a
Nortel 5510 code problem, and then re-breaking the network to see
whether we had fixed it or not.  Most of them understood my "House"
analogy (arrogant medical doctor who recklessly experiments on his
patients using the justification "well, they were practically dead
anyway!")

They were amazingly grateful that the problem was finally resolved, and
said I could break something else if it meant I would buy them pizza after.

---------

Your story reminds me of a similar "close call" with a prize last year.
 I was at a Messaging Security conference, and they hired a quite good
illusionist whose true skill apparently was being able to memorize and
babble back any marketing pitch that he's been assigned while he does
his tricks.

nice, but its a SECURITY conference right?  I didn't come to watch doves
disappear.

So, I grab a few likely parties and step out in the hall to scribble on
napkins and save the world.  After a bit, we realize that several of the
fellow world-savers have had too much to drink to save the world, so we
make an appointment for a conference call the following week to save the
world, and go back inside.

As I go back in, several people say "Aren't you Gary Warner?", and I'm
thinking, good!  they paid attention!  "Yup, I'm Gary Warner, the guy
who dared to make a fool of himself this morning arguing to the deaf
walls of the keynote presenter that DKIM is a flawed protocol that will
never work universally in its current form, and its equally flawed
cousin SPF is just as bad or worse, and being fully prepared to justify
both stances."

/* We temporarily interrupt this narrative for a rant about "MESSAGING"
conferences */

(This particular conference consisted of:

  "A" - People who believe DKIM will save the world, and can sell you a
product to do so.

  "B" - People who believe that SPF will save the world, and can sell
you a product to do so.

  "C" - People who have lots of spam to send you (they call themselves
the Direct Marketing Association) and want you to adopt either DKIM or
SPF, they don't care which, just so they make sure that THEIR spam is
properly delivered.

I was in group "D" - people who thought they had come to a security
conference and made the most of it by grabbing the other group "D"
members for progress in the hallways.)

/* We now return to our previous narrative */

Anyway, I ask "Why?" (do you want to know if I'm Gary Warner).

"Oh, because they just gave away a 60Gig Video iPod and you weren't in
the room so they gave it to someone else!"

DOH!

Ever since Netcraft gave me a 60Gig video ipod last year my daughter has
been begging for one, and makes a little wordless protest each time I am
in her presence by exaggerating the admittedly frustrating "CLICK CLICK
CLICK CLICK CLICK" of trying to find the song she wants next on her
conveniently sized Shuffle.

Hopefully she'll never learn how close she came to having one, since
this isn't an Open Mailing List. . .

Ooops.

_-_
gar