funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] A good Web site to check out

From: Chris Buechler <funsec () chrisbuechler com>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 13:57:55 -0400

Richard M. Smith wrote:
Hi,

I just found out about a Web site in the Boston Globe which makes it easy to
opt-out of credit card offers:

   https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t

One of the tricks that identity thieves use is to steal pre-approved credit
card offers from the mail and apply for a credit card in the victim's name.
Opting out of credit card offers is a good way to guard against this kind of
ID theft.

It actually works too...mostly. I signed myself and my wife up about 6
months ago, it says it may take something like 1-2 months to take
effect, and the amount of offers we get now has substantially decreased.
It hasn't completely eliminated them though, we're obviously on some
other list that still gets us a few of them. But it went from ~20 on an
average week, to a couple a month. My shredder is glad for the reduced
work load.

It's definitely worth signing up for.

It's only good for 5 years if you do it online, or you can fill out a
form off their site and snail mail it to permanently opt out. That's
pretty ridiculous (they're making money off their database, they want it
to be inconvenient to opt out permanently).

cheers,
-Chris