funsec mailing list archives

Re: Compromised aliases anyone? Was: ISACA, a registered trademark

From: Chris Buechler <funsec () chrisbuechler com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 12:59:44 -0400

Dude VanWinkle wrote:
On 5/9/07, Chris Buechler <funsec () chrisbuechler com> wrote:
and the aliases are
unique enough that there's no possible way I would get spam to those
addresses via any means other than a compromise of their email database.

actually, you could get spam because the spammers sign up to mailing
lists and harvest out the addys

For lists like this, sure, as I said. There are also web-based mail archives that don't obfuscate email addresses well, if at all. But that's not the case for a company's private mailing list that they use to send marketing crud or whatever to you, unless they do something really stupid like send it to a bunch of people in the To: line and expose the list themselves. Neither of the companies I spoke of did that, so their databases had to be disclosed somehow (disgruntled employee or network compromise, I'd guess).