funsec mailing list archives

Walt Mossberg takes on craplets on new mcahines

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 08:45:44 -0400

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB117573010863760311.html?mod=todays_us_market
place

Using Even New PCs Is Ruined by a Tangle Of Trial Programs, Ads
April 5, 2007; Page B1

When you buy a gleaming, new personal computer, the first thing you want to
do is to try out its cool new features and make it your own. You want to
savor how quickly it starts up and runs, and arrange the desktop icons to
suit your tastes and habits.

But as I rediscovered recently, often what you're forced to do instead is to
spend hours as a digital maintenance man wading through annoying and
confusing chores.

I have set up many computers over the years, so I wasn't shocked that the
out-of-box experience was less than ideal. Still, I was struck by just how
irritating it was to get going with the new Sony Vaio SZ laptop I bought
about 10 days ago. It was the first new Windows machine I'd bought in a few
years, because I had been waiting for Microsoft's new Windows Vista
operating system. I was amazed that the initial experience is still a big
hassle.

I'm not even referring to the most time-consuming setup processes --
transferring all your files and settings, reinstalling your favorite
programs and learning the new features. Vista has actually made moving files
and settings easier, and it isn't different enough from Windows XP to make
for a steep learning curve.

Instead, I'm talking about two main problems. One is the plethora of teaser
software and advertisements for products that must be cleared and
uninstalled to make way for your own stuff. The second is the confusing
welter of security programs you have to master and update, even on a virgin
machine.

I'm also referring to how slowly a new Windows Vista machine starts and
restarts, even if you haven't yet loaded or launched any of your own
software.

I am not singling out Sony here. I would have had a similar experience if I
had chosen, say, a Hewlett-Packard laptop. Most major PC makers feature the
security programs and trial software and offers I encountered on my new
Sony. They are not part of Vista itself.

The problem is a lack of respect for the consumer. The manufacturers don't
act as if the computer belongs to you. They act as if it is a billboard for
restricted trial versions of software and ads for Web sites and services
that they can sell to third-party companies who want you to buy these
products.

I'm distinguishing these programs, sometimes called "craplets," from the
full-featured, built-in Sony software meant to enhance the computer, or from
entire, useful programs Microsoft builds into Windows, such as music and
photo organizers.

On my new Sony, there were two dozen trial programs and free offers. The
desktop alone contained four icons representing come-ons for various America
Online services, and two for Microsoft. The start menu and program menu had
more items that I neither chose nor wanted. Napster, a music service I don't
use, was lodged at the lower right of the screen.