funsec mailing list archives

Re: Massive cyber "attack" on China; millions of computers affected

From: rms () computerbytesman com
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 12:21:28 -0400 (EDT)

How is this an "attack" as opposed to "a CLM-sized whoops"?

There should have quotes on attack in the original subject line.  I fixed
the problem.

I wonder if the Chinese government will now be looking into the security
risks of U.S. software companies having backdoors into their country's
PCs.

Richard

US government restricts China PCs

The US State Department says the 16,000 computers it bought from a Chinese
firm with links to the Beijing government will not be used for classified
work.

Assistant Secretary of State Richard Griffin said the department would
also alter its procurement process to ensure US information security was
guaranteed.

His comments came after Rep Frank Wolf expressed national security concerns.

In a letter to Mr Wolf, Mr Griffin said government security experts had
recommended the computers "be utilised on unclassified systems only".

He said the government was committed to ensuring the purchase would not
"compromise our information and communication channels".

And he said the state department would change the way it buys its
technology "in light of the changing ownership of IT equipment providers."