funsec mailing list archives

Re: A new security tool from Microsoft: Is it clever or whacky?

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 00:53:30 -0400

On 5/28/07, Michael Silk <michaelslists () gmail com> wrote:
On 5/29/07, rms () computerbytesman com <rms () computerbytesman com> wrote:

http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2007/05/22/two-advisories-on-non-secur
> ity-updates.aspx
>
> Tuesday, May 22, 2007 4:31 PM by MSRCTEAM
>
> More Information on MOICE and Restricting Opening or Saving Types of Files
>
> The MOICE tool works to help protect you from malicious Office documents
by
> capturing the legacy file format associations and diverting file open
> requests to this new process. First, it converts the document to the new
> Office Open XML format. It then converts back to the legacy binary format
> before handing off to the regular Office application to open the document.

gee, what could _possibly_ go wrong here.

> As David discussed in detail, this conversion happens in an isolated,
> low-rights environment which helps protect against attempts to exploit the
> conversion.

how is this achieved?

durr, mebe read the thread on this earlier in funsec, or the link to
research.ms...

> MOICE captures the file associations for the following file types:
>
> • .doc (Word document)
> • .xls (Excel spreadsheet)
> • .xlt (Excel Template)
> • .xla (Excel Addin)
> • .ppt (Powerpoint document)
> • .pot (Powerpoint Template
> • .pps (PowerPoint slideshow)

what about .dot?

i agree; this does seem rather wacky and strange.

"our regular word parser isn't secure, lets make a new one, that converts
twice, and make THAT secure" .... seems a little weird to me.

well when you program in code, sometime your exploits dont port
forward. These guys discovered if you port 2003/200 code to office
2007 code, none of the exploits translate (and even if they did, how
would you get around Stack Cookies, SafeSEH and DEP (excluding
starforce ;-), and decided to release this as a tool..

IMO MS has stepped up and is doing an awesome job..

-JP<mailing lists byte computerman, fer once>