funsec mailing list archives

The Real Impact of the Estonian Cyberattack

From: "Young, Keith" <Keith.Young () montgomerycountymd gov>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 11:10:59 -0400

Props to Jose:

        http://it.slashdot.org/it/07/05/29/1410258.shtml
        "News.com offers up an interview with Arbor Networks' senior
security researcher Jose Nazario. He takes stock of the
denial-of-service attack against the Baltic nation of Estonia, and
considers the somewhat disturbing wider implications from the event.
'You look around the globe, and there's basically no limit to the amount
of skirmishes between well-connected countries that could get incredibly
emotional for the population at large. In this case, it has disrupted
the Estonian government's ability to work on online, it has disrupted a
lot of its resources and attention. In that respect, it's been
effective. It hasn't brought the government to a crippling halt, but has
essentially been effective as a protect tool. People will probably look
at this and say, That works. I think we're going to continue to do this
kind of thing. Depending on the target within the government, it could
be very visible, or it could not be very visible.'"

News.com.com.com.com.com.com link:

http://news.com.com/Cyberattack+in+Estonia-what+it+really+means/2008-734
9_3-6186751.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

--Keith

Keith Young, Security Official
Department of Technology Services
Montgomery County, Maryland