funsec mailing list archives

Massachusetts wants to put in a vast license plate scanning network

From: <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:52:52 -0400

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/politics/view.bg?articleid=103212
1

The report calls for the use of modern technology such as video tolling to
collect the per-mile fees without the need to slow down. "With such
technology," the report states, "our roads and bridges can be treated like
other utilities - gas, electricity, water - where everyone pays in small
increments based upon their actual usage."

.

Institute new tolls on all interstate highways, charging motorists a
5-cent-per mile fee by using video tolling or other methods to tabulate the
distance they travel. The tolling system would be instituted on I-93, I-95,
I-495 and other highways, and would replace the tolls currently used on the
Mass Pike. The new tolls would generate $550 million per year, or $5.5
billion over 10 years.