funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Concerns Surface Over Computer System Used to Fight Meth

From: "Dennis Henderson" <hendomatic () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:20:28 -0500

On 7/18/07, Paul Ferguson <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:

Via Star-Telegram.com (props, Pogo Was Right).

[snip]

Detective Brian Lewis returns to his desk after lunch, scanning e-mails he
missed.

One catches his eye: It says a suspected member of a methamphetamine ring
bought a box of Sudafed at 1:34 p.m. at a CVS pharmacy.

Minutes later, Lewis is in his truck, circling the parking lot, searching
for the woman.

Lewis did not find her that day, but the scenario illustrates the way law
enforcement is increasingly relying on computerized tracking systems in
their fight against meth, an illegal drug that is often brewed in
makeshift
labs and has become a particular scourge in Appalachia and the Midwest.

As much as I hate the fact that one of the sponsors of the bill that
resulted in the *Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act of 2005* (*CMEA*) was
from my home state of Missouri, the "Concerns" listed other than the
additional intrusion into our personal lives were pretty lame.

Hell if you need more than 9 grams of PSE every month, get a doctor's
prescription....

but having said that, the law sucks and I feel like a criminal every time I
buy a box of Drixoral in August for ragweed season...