funsec mailing list archives

Arizona Governor Proposes Statewide Use of Car License Plate Recognition Technology

From: "'Richard M. Smith'" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 08:39:50 -0400

http://www.remingtonelsag.com/press_05.htm

Arizona Governor Proposes Statewide Use of LPR Technology

STATE OF THE STATE ADDRESS
48TH ARIZONA LEGISLATURE
FIRST REGULAR SESSION
GOVERNOR JANET NAPOLITANO
JANUARY 8, 2007

President Bee, Speaker Weiers, Honorable Senators and Representatives, Chief
Justice McGregor and members of the Supreme Court, members of Congress,
tribal leaders, honored guests and my fellow Arizonans:

It is my privilege today to stand before you to report on the state of our
state...

...I'm very proud that the state Department of Public Safety has pioneered
the use of advanced License Plate Reader technology that vastly improves our
ability to detect the stolen vehicles used by human smugglers - and arrest
the criminals who are driving them, often preventing additional crimes in
the process. I propose that we expand the license plate reader program so it
becomes a tool for crime fighting in every part of the state.

We are also going to use millions of dollars in federal funds to equip our
borders and border guards with the latest detection technology, including
new radars and new sensors. We will continue to expand the reach of GIITEM
to attack the gangs plaguing our border communities. We are modernizing our
crime labs so that the science of DNA will remove any shelter for
criminals...