funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Citing Four-Day Old Surveillance Law, Bush Seeks Dismissal of Lawsuit Challenging NSA Spying

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 16:55:29 -0500

On 8/9/07, der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca> wrote:
Four days after President Bush signed controversial legislation
legalizing some warrantless surveillance of Americans, the
administration is citing the law in a surprise motion today urging a
federal judge to dismiss a lawsuit challenging the NSA spy program.

Aren't ex post facto laws unconstitutional there?  (Yes, I know that
wouldn't necessarily stop the current administration....)

You're thinking in reverse. This is removing a legal barrier and
therefore fine - and capable of releasing previously "guilty" persons
from their sentences. What you're thinking of, and are illegal, are
laws that would make you a criminal, guilty, after the fact.

That's my understanding anyway - in a very layman way.