funsec mailing list archives

Re: on the university problem

From: Jordan Wiens <numatrix () ufl edu>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 19:24:02 -0400

Hey, I represe--err, resent that!  ;-)

Seriously though, part of the reason edus stand out with spam blog comments is because their search engine rankings are higher. I don't believe that EDUs are necessarily less secure than equivalent sized businesses, it's just that they're more attractive targets for spammers doing this particular attack.

We've had our share of sites defaced in this manner over the years but so has one in about every five random blogs I stumble across when searching on the internet for various topics. The true story here is "spammers hijack anything and everything they can to drive traffic to their sites." Of course, that's not as interesting as the commonly held belief (true or not) that Universities are easy pickings.

Now if anyone wants to gather some /real numbers/ showing Universities are or aren't more of a problem, maybe we can stop making up guesses one way or the other.

--
Jordan Wiens, CISSP
UF Network Security Engineer