funsec mailing list archives

Re: Editorial: ICANN's WHOIS Policy Shift Would Be CriminalNe gligence

From: "John LaCour" <johnlacour () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:39:25 -0700

*speaking for myself*

One of the potential issues with hiding WHOIS info is that it prevents
domain host owner/operators from being contacted in the case that
their legitimate internet presence is being used malciously by a 3rd
party.   If the default position becomes for WHOIS information to be
unavailable, it will be much harder to clean up the mess caused when
systems are comprimised for phishing and other illegal activities.