funsec mailing list archives

Re: SourceFire buys ClamAV

From: Jordan Wiens <numatrix () ufl edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 19:13:48 -0400

I realized my summary of the question and response wasn't quite as clear as it could have been. I asked:

"The licensing for signatures -- are there plans to take the clamav signatures a similar route you've taken the snort signatures in terms of seperate feeds, one from sourcefire, one from the community"

The answer:

"We do not intend to do that, as a matter of fact fact we've committed to the team [ClamAV team, presumably?] to leave the licensing model for the malware database exactly as it is today."

I heard that as they're not planning on having any future split licensing model (since that's explicitly what my question asked), but you're right, they could of course always change their mind.

Marty has explicitly said time after time that he's no desire to go the Nessus3 route with Snort. It is interesting to see the new clarifications to the preamble and the dual-licensing in the future, but Fyodor's been doing that for years with NMap and there hasn't been nearly the same reaction. That appears to be their mechanism to still write and use GPL software and not totally change the license like Tenable did, but still prevent the situation where they're competing against their own code as other companies integrate it (unless those companies products were entirely GPL!).

--
Jordan Wiens, CISSP
UF Network Security Engineer