funsec mailing list archives

Re: FBI: 'Bot Roast II' Nets 8 Individuals

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 18:25:06 -0500

On Nov 29, 2007 4:58 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:43:24 EST, Dude VanWinkle said:

Couldnt we pass legislation saying they could install a
bot-removal-and-patching into the botnet as part of their takedown?

Quick virus/worm history quiz:

What well-known worm tried to do cleanup of the worm the week before, but
ended up doing more damage than the previous worm?

And that was in 2002ish? Coded by someone just learning/no experience?

You are right. We should never attempt to use a botnet to take out
itself again and just wait for the owners to buy new pc's. I will
learn from a child's mistake and never attempt that.

:-P

<also>
--Keith
Couldnt we pass legislation saying they could install a
bot-removal-and-patching into the botnet as part of their takedown?
Reduce the sentence if the botmaster helps clean up his mess?

And you would permit an FBI-sponsored software installation onto
infected machines?
What about, assuming that it would be infected,  your own?

No grasshopper, a removal using an existing package does not an
installation make :-)

I can just see the anti-Big Brother posts on Digg now...

What if we forced them to make sores open...err it open source? Peer
reviewed like e-voting software in (denmark? sweden?)?

Tell the Digg ppl. that the FBI/NSA/CIA/SGC already have control of
the botnet and use it for covert ops. That'l learn 'em!

Stupid idea I know, but hey: I already got the title for today..

-JP