funsec mailing list archives

Show me you're nuts

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 16:35:48 -0500

via ./ (I know, but its a slow day)

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/12/09/1356201

"According to Ina Fried, a chatbot is making the rounds that
successfully emulates an easily-laid woman. As such, it dupes lonely
Russian males into divulging personal and financial details at a rate
of one every three minutes. All jokes aside — and a lot of them come
quickly to mind — that sure sounds like the Turing Test to me. Of
course, there are caveats. Reports of scary internet security threats
are commonly overblown. There are some pretty obvious ways the chatbot
could be designed to lessen its AI challenge by seeking to direct the
conversation. And finally, while we are told the bot has fooled a few
victims, we don't know its overall success rate at fooling the
involuntary Turing "judges.""

also: http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9831133-56.html