funsec mailing list archives

RE: When the cure is worse than the disease

From: "Larry Seltzer" <Larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 09:24:20 -0500

Windows PCs attempting to get the latest anti-virus definition files
display the message "previous application launch failed" before becoming
stuck in an endless loop. The problem, which cropped up on Thursday, is
affecting many users of Kaspersky's anti-virus software package,
according to forum postings
<http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=55045&pid=497472&mode=th
readed&start=#entry497472> .

This happened to me yesterday. I avp.exe actually crashed and restarted.
I decided to reboot the system and do a manual update. It seems fine now
and the definitions are dated as of about 2 hours ago.
Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/ <http://security.eweek.com/>
<http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/>
http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/
<http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/Contributing>
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
larry.seltzer () ziffdavisenterprise com