funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] European Parliment: Anti-Terror Efforts Have Gone Too Far

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:52:30 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007, Paul Ferguson wrote:

Via UPI.

[snip]

The European Parliament says the EU Commission and member states have
overreached in their reaction to terrorism, endangering citizens' privacy
and rights.

In a broad-ranging resolution this week, the Parliament opposed the
establishment of a European air passenger personal data system like the one
run in America by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

The resolution, passed Wednesday 359-293 with 38 abstentions, called any
form of profiling or data-mining in EU counter-terrorism measures
"unacceptable."

It expressed concern about the growing use of existing EU immigration
databases, including one of asylum-seekers, for counter-terrorism purposes;
and about the European Commission's proposal to collect Passenger Name
Records from the airlines as the United States and Canada currently do.

They just said "no" rather than "how" it should be used. I guess they just
didn't get blown up enough yet.

Am I out of line? I think we just got blown up more (much more). Than
again, as long as they can live in blissful ignorance, I applaude them,
as living happy and worry free sounds very cool, trouble is trouble is
here and wishing it gone isn't going to make it gone.

They may live happily, but once something bad happens somebody's ass is
grass. I guess somebody going home is a small price to pay for their
future 9/11 (which I hope doesn't happen).

Privacy they say? I am happy to live in a country that doesn't censor the
Internet in any way, unlike say, some EU countries. Any censorship is on
high-level nagtional security issues (and even then it gets out if
related to privacy concerns, as the press is aware of it).

Israel just looks better and better every day.

        Gadi.

[snip]

More:
http://www.upi.com/International_Security/Emerging_Threats/Briefing/2007/12
/14/eu_counter-terror_laws_cant_go_too_far/5198/

- - ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
fergdawg(at)netzero.net