funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Dodd Filibuster Threat Wins - Spying Bill Postponed to N ext Year

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 11:48:13 -0600

On Dec 20, 2007 6:54 AM, Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com> wrote:

My own opinion is that this will be a hard fight, and one that will
most likely fail -- due to the spineless legislators who cow-tow to
the ultra-right wing fanatics who keep saying that "...terrorists
are at your door...".

Looks like the left is taking up that banner as well..

Looks like Gadi has gone on holiday so I'll take up the good fight.

This is ridiculous. First you had Dodd filibuster his own party and then you
have Dodd "deserving the props he deserves." Perhaps you're voting for the
wrong party?

So, I will not grant you the "inevitability" factor. I still believe
in the U.S Constitution.

Do you?

Not really. In my (admittedly short) experience there are two worlds
of law in the States. The one on TV and Newspaper, and then one in
real life. The world in the TV and News has a constitution, but not
Real Life.

The Constitution is what you make of it, frankly.  But I'm betting you can
even define the purpose of the Constitution without hitting wikipedia to
make sure you get it right.

As has often been discussed before, you're more than willing to give up the
2nd amendment, a freedom hold dear, so why should I be concerned about any
freedoms you hold dear?

"When they came for the Jews, I did nothing, because I was not a Jew..."

Businesses operate in Real Life, as do Police and Politicians.

If I could make one edit to the Constitution, it would be to make sure
that the legislators have increased liability that matches their
increased privileges: I.E.: If break the law, they go to jail too, not
just get "punished" with an early retirement. I would also throw in a
line about lying to the public being punishable by jail time, with a
mandatory storage and recording of all communications with their
staff.

Just a thought.

The Constitution is fine, editing is done via Amendments of which there have
been several - mostly for the worse (so I pretty much oppose ALL amendments)
- not to include the "Bill of Rights" which were the first amendments used
to "sell" the Constitution to the rest of the country.

If I could edit anything I would edit the people. The poor who are jealous
of the rich, the rich who get on their high horse and think themselves
"benevolent", the politician, who thinks serving in public office is a
career when it should never have been...I'd welcome back the farmer
congressman that actually works his farm year round and travels to the
Capital ONLY when ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED.

What people have against a deadlock Congress is beyond me. And the only
reason a person has to get pissed off about Congress not being in session is
that we agreed to pay them a yearly salary!