funsec mailing list archives

RE: The false positive in McAfee GroupShield

From: "Craig Schmugar" <craig () getvirushelp com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 19:56:02 -0700

One man's false positive is another man's proactive protection.

Looking at the driver, "Exploit-CVE2007-3845" is a bit too specific of a
name for such a heuristic detection.  But, I'm not overly concerned about it
catching other exploit code.

OK, the context may not be exactly right in this specific Groupshield
example, but I'm not one to sacrifice genericisity and performance for the
sake of allowing security researchers to swap exploit code.

Craig Schmugar
Threat Researcher
McAfee Avert Labs