funsec mailing list archives

Yup, works for us too!

From: "Alex Eckelberry" <AlexE () sunbelt-software com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:56:37 -0400

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=071017125814.w6whem5y&show_artic
le=1

Swearing at work boosts team spirt, morale: research

Regular swearing at work can help boost team spirit among staff,
allowing them to express better their feelings as well as develop social
relationships
<http://search.breitbart.com/q?s="social+relationships"&sid=breitbart.co
m> , according to a study by researchers.

Yehuda Baruch, a professor of management
<http://search.breitbart.com/q?s="professor+of%20management"&sid=breitba
rt.com>  at the University of East Anglia
<http://search.breitbart.com/q?s="University+of%20East%20Anglia"&sid=bre
itbart.com> , and graduate Stuart Jenkins studied the use of profanity
<http://search.breitbart.com/q?s="use+of%20profanity"&sid=breitbart.com>
in the workplace and assessed its implications for managers.

They assessed that swearing would become more common as traditional
taboos are broken down, but the key appeared to be knowing when such
language was appropriate and when to turn to blind eye
<http://search.breitbart.com/q?s="blind+eye"&sid=breitbart.com> .

The pair said swearing in front of senior staff or customers should be
seriously discouraged or banned, but in other circumstances it helped
foster solidarity among employees and express frustration, stress or
other feelings.

"Employees use swearing on a continuous basis, but not necessarily in a
negative, abusive manner," said Baruch, who works in the university's
business school in Norwich.

Banning swear words and reprimanding staff might represent strong
leadership, but could remove key links between staff and impact on
morale and motivation, he said.

"We hope that this study will serve not only to acknowledge the part
that swearing plays in our work and our lives, but also to indicate that
leaders sometimes need to 'think differently' and be open to intriguing
ideas.

"Managers need to understand how their staff feel about swearing. The
challenge is to master the 'art' of knowing when to turn a blind eye to
communication that does not meet their own standards."

The study, "Swearing at work and permissive leadership culture: when
anti-social becomes social and incivility is acceptable", is published
in the latest issue of the Leadership and Organisational Development
Journal.

Copyright AFP 2007, AFP stories and photos shall not be published,
broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed
directly or indirectly in