funsec mailing list archives

Re: Security Theater: Most Fake Bombs Missed by Screeners

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 23:13:30 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:37:15 -0000, Paul Ferguson said:

The failure rates at Los Angeles and Chicago stunned security experts.

They can't have been actual experts if they didn't understand that
security theater doesn't provide actual security.

I'm not convinced of that.

When I leave my bike for a little while, I use a very weak chain to lock
it up (because it's easier to use than the big heavy one). My thought is
that the "security theater" (you can see a chain, you can't see how feeble
it is) will deter the casual thief.