funsec mailing list archives

Re: Comcast censors the Bible

From: "B.K. DeLong" <bkdelong () pobox com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:41:16 -0400

I think Sonny still brings up a good point about it being a slippery
slope. By turn over the responsibility of Malware filtering to the
ISPs, who has oversight? These are commercial entities not necessarily
following any industry standard or government requirements - they make
up their own rules and with them comes inconsistency and, potentially,
outright censorship.

I agree that blocking is a powerful means of forcing awareness through
the potential loss of business and interruption in services but I
think there needs to be some sort of happy medium such as an industry
fostered and supported standard - not all these arbitrary blacklists
and ISP-specific pick-and-choose block rules...