funsec mailing list archives

Re: Comcast censors the Bible

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 19:42:34 +1300

rms () computerbytesman com wrote:

They are currently out of fashion.

Yep, I just checked my junk email folder and there are only a few messages
with attached files containing malware.  ...

_AND_ (assuming you do not have incoming scanning and/or filetype
blocking policies) a sizable chunk of those will be "old" malware --
Netsky, Swen (I just got one, tho haven't seen one for many months or
four in more than a year) and the like.

...  The situation has changed in the
last 6 to 12 months.  I was amazed the last time I checked how many
malware-laden messages I had.  It was as if the bad guys hadn't heard
about the Outlook executable blocker.

As Toralv has noted, they _did_ notice, and they also noticed that a
lot of corporates had a "no .EXE attachments... well unless the sender
and receiver are sophisticated enough to know about ZIP/UNZIP'ing them"
rule.  As a result several much-larger-than-folk-had-become-comfortable-
with outbreaks using .ZIP attachments (the only natively-supported
archive format in Windows the malware authors seem to know about) saw a
lot of corporates arbitrarily block .ZIP files, or at least seriously
tighten their "except in .ZIP archives" rules.

Subsequently the botnets these folk had been building up got so huge
and sufficiently advanced that they could leverage the botnets in the
ways I described in an earlier message.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald