funsec mailing list archives

I feel so much better now

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 08:43:05 -0400

My Boeing and Lockheed-Martin stocks should see a bump.

However if a little country wants to attack the U.S. with nukes, does this
new defense system stop suicide fishing trawlers?

Richard

http://www.iht.com/bin/print.php?id=7728048

Missile defense system is up and running, military says
By Thom Shanker
Wednesday, October 3, 2007

WASHINGTON: After a successful test last week, the tracking radars and
interceptor rockets of a new American missile defense system can be turned
on at any time to respond to an emerging crisis in Asia, senior military
officers said Tuesday.

General Victor Renuart Jr., the senior commander for defense of United
States territory, said that the antimissile system could guard against the
risk of ballistic missile attack from North Korea even while development
continues on a series of radars in California and the Pacific Ocean and on
interceptor missiles in Alaska and California.

While the new system is limited, it is the most extensive anti-ballistic
missile system the Pentagon has fielded since the Safeguard ABM system near
Grand Forks Air Force Base in North Dakota was briefly operated, starting in
1975. Congress immediately voted to shut it down, and it operated for only a
few months.

"We can bring missiles up or take them down as need be so that they can
continue doing the testing," said Renuart, commander of the military's
Northern Command, based in Colorado Springs. But, he added, "I'm fully
confident that we have all of the pieces in place that, if the nation needed
to, we could respond."

He said the system showed an initial capability in July 2006, when American
missile defense went on alert as North Korea staged missile tests. Because
the array of interceptors and radars remains under development, it has never
received the military's official status of being an operational weapons
system.