funsec mailing list archives

Working with Microsoft, Coakley fights cybercrime

From: <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:54:33 -0400

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/city_region/breaking_news/2007/10/working_w
ith_mi.html

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Working with Microsoft, Coakley fights cybercrime

By Globe Staff

More than 250 law enforcement officers from across the state will learn how
to investigate websites, domain names, and IP addresses and scour e-mail
messages, chat rooms, and instant messages for evidence as part of a
forensic computer training next week at Microsoft Corp. in Waltham.

"Cyber Crimes 101" has been organized by Attorney General Martha Coakley,
who today released a 12-page plan to combat digital crimes in Massachusetts.

"With the Strategic Plan as our guide, Massachusetts is now prepared to take
the necessary steps not only to better investigate and prosecute cybercrime
when it occurs, but also to prevent such criminal activity in the first
place," Coakley said in a statement. "The priorities defined in the plan are
both practical and tangible and provide clear benchmarks for our work in the
months ahead."

To read the plan, click here
<http://www.boston.com/news/daily/25/strategic_plan.pdf> .

Microsoft has provided similar training to law enforcement in Alabama,
Colorado, Georgia, Kansas, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Utah.