funsec mailing list archives

Re: Cryptome: NSA has access to Windows Mobile smartphones

From: Bruce Ediger <eballen1 () qwest net>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 12:31:12 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Juha-Matti Laurio wrote:

According to the post National Security Agency has access both stand-alone systems and networks running Microsoft products.

Surely this doesn't surprise anyone?  I mean, after the weak terms of the
seattlement "imposed" on Microsoft by the US DoJ, any rational being
would certainly include the probability that some factions in the US
government got a quid pro quo from Microsoft.  Didn't anybody read
Dan Brown's "Digital Fortress"?

As to those nay-sayers who will deny the possiblity of any group, much
less the US Government being able to keep a secret of such magnitude,
I'd have to remind them that the truth about how ULTRA decrypting of
"Enigma" machine-encoded messages did not come out until the mid-1970s,
about 30 years after the fact.